Thursday, May 15, 2014

Bait Shop for Boats

16x20 oil on gallery wrap canvas

There were several things I concentrated on with this painting.  First, I was very conscious of my values.  I was painting from a photo I took on my iPad.  My grandson showed me how to change the filter when I edited the photo on my iPad.  I was then able to choose " tonal" which allowed me to view the values.  I drew the scene and massed in my shadows on the figures.  Then I put in much of my background using warm and cool colors for contrast.

I was anxious to paint the figures, my focal point.  I realized how much I'm learning about color.  Adding a little orange to the cad red caused the red to pop.  Just love that.  Also, I added yellow to brighten up the green in the shirt.  To get the blues to pop in the shirt, I put ultramarine blue mixed with white next to the phthalo blue mixtures.  So much better than just adding white.

I was very pleased with this one considering I scraped two before this one.  I can still do this.  I was beginning to wonder.  Don't you just hate when that happens?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment