Sunday, January 19, 2014

Morning Grace

8x10 pastel on pastel paper

Here's my second pastel of boats.  I did this one on white pastel but still found I had to layer and layer the pastel pigment.  Painting with pastels has so many similarities to oil in that you don't have to worry about drying time, you can blend, you start off with a thinner layer and apply on top, etc. but handling a pastel vs. a paint brush is very different.  I like them both but do prefer painting with brushes and palette knives at this time.  

I've framed this one and the last post painting under glass with a mat.  The correct way is to double mat them, but I just needed to get them framed so I wouldn't ruin them.  I did give this one a light spray of pastel fixative which darkened it a little bit.  I didn't on the last pastel when I was done with the painting.  I have read that this seems to be a personal preference at the completion of a pastel.  Of course, if you want to rework an area, and you don't want the color to be dirty, then you would use the spray to provide a new surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment