Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Red, White and Blue


 
11x14 oil on canvas panel
 
Can you tell a difference between these two photos?  The second photo is of the same painting but reworked.  I softened the edges of the background information so that the hard edges of the sign and flag would create more of a focal point.  When I looked at the first one, my eyes were moving all around and something didn't work for me.  Too busy, but softening the edges even with the bold colors of the cars and the brick at top, my eyes moved to the focal point of the sign and flag.  I'm thinking that if I toned down the brick at top so as not to compete with the red in the car, that might help also.  I'm not done with this painting. 

I decided to do some cityscapes.  This is downtown Westerville.  While walking along State St., this scene caught my eye with the flag and the red, white and blue cars lined up in front of the Amish Originals Furniture Co.  First time I've really done cars other than spots of color in other paintings and of course, my husband said time to paint my cars.  I'll give them a try.



No comments:

Post a Comment