Sunday, October 27, 2013

Horse Parade

11x14 oil on canvas panel
 
I'm satisfied with the way this turned out.  The horses were fun but I had a hard time keeping track of the legs.   I began with a good drawing.  I printed the photo on a full sheet of paper and put my grid lines on the photo and the canvas which helped with this complicated scene.
 
To bring unity to the painting, I ended with adding spots of warm and cool colors around the painting.  I put some of the lightened yellow ochre in the cooler street and added blues to the warm colored buildings.  I softened edges in the background and carefully added details to the horses and wagon. 
 
Here's my cute story about the day I went to the Horse Parade in 2012:
Early in the morning on the day of the horse parade, my husband was driving home from out east of our town.  He saw a man riding a horse along the rural highway with a dog and a mule following close beside him.  The man had a large backpack, dressed in a fringed leather jacket, and was obviously traveling somewhere.  This man actually happened upon the horse parade in our town and the officials of the parade asked him to lead the parade which he did.  My daughter, grandchildren and I went to the parade that day and we didn't know about this man on the horse with his dog and mule at the time.  When we saw him in the parade, we were delighted to see how well the dog and mule stayed with him.  The story came out in the local newspaper the next day about him.  My daughter and I actually were interviewed as well at the parade and our interview was written up in the article as well.  


No comments:

Post a Comment