Monday, September 2, 2013

Day 2 of 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge with Leslie Saeta

 
Fishing at the Beach
6x6 oil on canvas panel
 
The first day brought many nice comments which I really appreciate.  I hope to visit others' blogs and do the same.  It's nice to know we're all about the same thing and love to paint!
 
This picture is my husband fishing at the beach down in Sarasota.  He's been a good model for me when he didn't even know it. 
 
I posted below the photo I painted from and do feel that I captured him even though that's not my intent on every figurative.  I want to paint looser and concentrate on values rather than so much on likenesses, but can't help when it's family.
 
I followed Peggi Kroll Roberts system and massed in the shadows first.  I try to do this with all my paintings.  I divided my palette and put the darks on the right and the lights on the left as she suggested and found this was helpful in getting my values correct.  I think I'm going to need to lay out more paint.  I'm so lucky that Dick Blick is not far from my house.
 



6 comments:

  1. Hello Sue,

    Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. It spurred me on to see if you, too, were participating in the 30 in 30. So fun to see that you ARE! I love the painting of your husband. Figure painting is HARD and you nailed it. I'll be checking back on your progress daily through the challenge. :)
    -Nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope all is going well for you with the challenge. It is fun and I thank you for the comment!

      Delete
  2. It is comforting to hear that others experience these frustrations of painting from time to time. It was helpful to see what you said about organizing your palette with lights and darks. You are so lucky to be near Dick Blick.

    30 day challenge- day 4 tomorrow.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. This challenge has really helped me feel connected to other artists. It is comforting!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Carol. I sure am lucky, but I can sure spend the money there, too.

      Delete