Sunday, September 15, 2013

Day 15 of 30 Paintings

Sitting in a Tree
6x6 oil on canvas panel
 
Painting my shadows first
 
This is not the first time I've done this scene.   I've struggled with this photograph many times.  I thought I would give it a try again since this challenge for me is a study of doing figures.  Getting the shadows on the faces was the hardest.  The photo showed some highlights on the children's faces, but when I put them there and looked in the mirror - whoa, it was not good.   I reworked it many times before I was satisfied with the results. 
 
After struggling with this painting, I went to my blog list just to peruse and happened upon Taryn Day's blog http://awakeandpainting.blogspot.com/.  In her blog there are links to interviews with her.  In one of her interviews she talks about painting from photos.   She said this  "I always paint from my computer monitor, because the sense of depth is so much better than in a photographic print. I often turn the image upside down to get a fresh take on the shapes and colours.  I use relatively large brushes so I’m forced to focus on the large shapes first." 
 
What a fabulous find for me and just what I needed to learn today.  Thanks, Taryn!!!  Check out her work.  She's incredible!!!   


4 comments:

  1. Oh thats lovely! Well I know what you mean about that, If ever I can I work from the monitor, but sometimes I have to print off and work, and it is awful! The colours seem so much better on the screen as well. I must admit i am a big fan of turning it all upside down, Thanks for the share of Taryn's blog I must have a read...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try the upside down, too. Thank you, Sue!

      Delete
  2. Adorable painting and subject. Haven't tried painting people yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy! I did rework it and hope I haven't ruined it. I didn't think I could paint figures until I gave it a try and now I love it.

      Delete