Sunday, September 1, 2013

Day 1 of 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge with Leslie Saeta


 

Sunny Day
5x7 oil on canvas panel
 
Today is my first day of the 30 day challenge.  It is my hope that this experience will help me grow in my painting skill, technique, and confidence.  It's always better to set one's goals high, right?   Got to get those painting miles in if I want to grow.

Painting every day will be very challenging for me.  I tend to get into slumps where I don't know what to paint, can't get loosened up for one reason or another to create something I'm pleased with, and don't stay with a theme long enough to practice and grow as I should.

Leslie Saeta http://lesliesaeta.blogspot.com/, an incredible artist I've been following, created this challenge.  She suggests that we have a theme.  This posed a dilemma for me.  What do I want to paint for 30 days?  I want to maintain my enthusiasm, but most of all, I want to learn through my practice and study.  As I looked at all the paintings I have done, I realized I really enjoy doing figuratives and want to learn more.  Hence, my theme for this challenge is Studies in Figuratives.  I want to learn how to paint them more loosely and will revisit my Peggi Kroll Roberts DVDs http://krollrobertsstudio.blogspot.com/.  I will use my old photos, repaint some of them, and use my daughter as my model and anyone else who will pose for me.  Should be fun!


I may even put some on Etsy in my store http://www.etsy.com/shop/LightingtheCandle?ref=search_shop_redirect but that remains to be seen.


The above picture is that of my cousin who visited my Florida home last spring.  

12 comments:

  1. Hello Sue,
    Great piece! Love your birds too!
    See you around in the challenge!
    Pati

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your shadow patterns! I love figures in the sun. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your comment. Bring on the sun!!

      Delete
  3. wonderful entry to the 30 in 30 challenge. I love the values and shapes...great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great figure study. I hope to do one as well as you have done this....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen. I have far to go, but really appreciate the compliment!

      Delete
  5. I love your work here. I also am a fan of Peggy Kroll Roberts. You really have developed a style. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm going to get the DVDs out every day to keep me inspired. Good luck to you, too!

      Delete
  6. I recognized the PKR influence - in fact I thought it was hers at first! Great lighting effects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri. I wish I could take a workshop with her. She needs to come to Ohio again.

      Delete